Bob’s Red Mill recently took home its second championship title at the 19th Annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championship in Carrbridge, Scotland. Laurie Figone of Petaluma, CA, competed on behalf of the company and won the specialty trophy with her recipe for Italian Pinhead Torta.
Figone was selected from among three finalists in Bob’s Red Mill second annual Spar for the Spurtle recipe contest, which gave contestants the chance to fly to Scotland and compete in the 2012 Golden Spurtle competition.
The competition gets its name from a traditional porridge-stirring instrument called a spurtle. The contest was inspired by the initial victory of Bob’s Red Mill marketing director Matthew Cox, who took home the coveted Golden Spurtle in 2009.
Figone’s recipe was inspired by her mother-in-law’s torta made with white rice, eggs, oregano and Parmesan cheese. For this recipe, Figone substituted Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats (or “pinheads,” as they’re sometimes called) for the rice. She also added fresh zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms. Check out her website, Cooking with Laurie Figone, for more of her creations.
Italian Pinhead Torta
1 oz. dried Portobello mushrooms
1½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats (also known as pinhead oats)
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup diced onion
1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
½ cup diced sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
6 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon garlic salt with parsley
½ cup chopped fresh oregano
1 cup dried Parmesan cheese
Fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish
1. Rehydrate mushrooms in 1½ cups boiling water for 10 minutes (reserving the liquid to soak the oats in). After soaking; drain, squeeze dry and dice mushrooms.
2. Soak steel cut oats in reserved mushroom liquid for about 10 minutes before step 4.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in an 11-inch non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion.
4. While onion is sautéing, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch saucepan over medium-high heat. Add soaked steel cut oats and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes or until remaining liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Once onion has become translucent; add the following to the pan: Mushrooms, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes and steel cut oats; mix well. Remove from heat.
6. In a large mixing bowl; beat eggs and then add garlic salt, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and then stir in steel cut oat mixture.
7. Return 11-inch frying pan to medium to medium-high heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter. When butter has melted, immediately pour in steel cut oat mixture and place a tight fitting lid on your pan. Cook covered for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove lid and remove pan from heat; invert onto a serving plate. Immediately top with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
8. Slice and serve.
NUTRITION SCORE (per serving)
Fat 12g (6 g saturated)
Carbs 18 g
Protein 9 g
Fiber 2.6 g
Calcium 109 mg
Iron 1.6 mg
Sodium 227 mg
Photo credit: Courtesy Bob’s Red Mill